Friday, January 6, 2012

Thirty Years too late?




During the early 80's when I was but a little boy one of the artist that I really admire was Cyndi Lauper, of course along with Culture Club and a host of boy bands that invaded America and was dubbed as the second coming of the British Invasion (From Spandau Ballet, Duran Duran, The Smiths , The Clash, Depeche Mode etc.) The first of course was the Beatles in the 60's.

Before MADONNA Cyndi was the it girl for me. I remember dancing to Girls just wanna have fun and She Bop and emoting to Time After Time. The girl is so cool and having Lou Albano play her dad in the Girls Just Wanna Have Fun video made her seemed cooler as most kids that time is oh so obsessed with Wrestling via Hulk Hogan, Lou Albano ,Andre the Giant etc.
She is simply one of a kind, with the funky wacky style, Red hair shaved on the side and a voice thats angelic at the same time banshee like thats a signature vocal style all her own.

She had a string of hits and seemed to be destined for greatness From the aforementioned Girls Just wanna have fun which is iconic in itself up to True Colors.

Then something happened after the sophomore album it seemed Cyndi got stuck on the persona she created ( Paging GaGa bwahahaha). The kooky punk rocker chick seemed to start fading as the eighties drew to a close. I of course still followed her career even though at that time I'm simply hooked to the Queen of Pop ( MADONNA Motha f_ckers not Gaga)LOL.

Although she did release some critically acclaimed albums after True Colors, she never did get to the mega stardom that most people critics and fans alike expected of her when she was starting. Although I have to say that her version of I Drove All Night trumps Celine's yucky version.
And judging her body of work and the compilation Twelve Deadly Cyns she did very good and has cemented her stature as an icon.

Anyways as I am writing this Cyndi is slated to perform here in Manila this coming March. Although of course I am looking forward to seeing her the question comes to my mind is "Is she thirty years too late"?

I know it had been a vicious cycle here in the Philippines to bring has beens and make them perform, And the artists would say why they hadn't visited the country earlier when even their lesser known singles the audience knows the lyrics ( Thanks to Jingle Song Hits )LOL.
But I think its not, Cyndi for all its worth is gonna be worth it and it would be a good time to reminisce and sing Time After Time to her....Plus her other hits of course.

I'll start looking for my old Jingle Song Hits na LOL


No comments:

Post a Comment