Sunday, January 1, 2012

SAWA

Happy New Year!!!

Yes its that time again wherein one does the Filipino tradition of celebrating the New Year.
OK, generally before 12 midnight everything should be prepared so I did a checklist.
1. 12 circular fruits check
2. Barya in the bulsa check
3. The Media Noche feast check
4. Shirt with the color of the year check (I just think the polka dots are simply tacky)
5. The animal symbol for the year check (It's the water Dragon for this year, not really Filipino but then again no harm in trying and wishing for good luck)
6.the sound system check (ready to play Katy Perry's Firework once the time hits the 11:45 pm mark on repeat mode until 12 midnight.
7. Greet friends on FB Happy New Year before 12 midnight check (Before it was the ready forwarded Happy New Year message on the cellphone but now I guess FB had overtaken that tradition)
8.Fireworks check
9. Champagne check Not really traditional Filipino but ever since I can afford to buy a nice bottle of champagne I adopted it.
9. Firecrackers (paputok) check

And no I am not being an advocate for not using firecrackers but rather I am missing one family member this Media Noche.
My brother is on his night-shift duty on the 31'st. He works for a B.P.O. & as it goes their work schedule is jive with their American employers thats why hes on duty New Years eve.
I'm kinda sad cause this is the first year that were not complete .

Although I am quite irritated with the ear splitting "SAWA" that my brother usually sets off once it strikes 12 midnight i kinda miss it, And more so my brother during this times when one celebrates the ending of a year and the start of a new one. I just had to console myself that the food we prepared for the feast will be my brother's baon so at least he can celebrate New Year with his co workers.

I could just imagine my friends abroad whose celebrating New Year away from their family.....
Heart breaking really but then again I guess my brother is an adult already and not the little boy I used to take care of.
Plus the fact that we had been celebrating Christmases and New years with out a mom for the nth time already and it would be lucky that my mom would come back home every three years, so i think one just have to get used to the situation.

Sad but I'm still positive and looking forward to a better year and a complete family when 2013 arrives....

CHEERS!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment