Sunday, July 24, 2011

Touched For The Very First Time

Queen of Pop, Material girl, Dita,Evita, Veronica Electronica, Top Selling Female artist of all time, Most succesful Female Act Of All Time. etc....
She's practically done it all. But I'm feeling quite nostalgic and wanna go back to the time I was touched by her presence for the firs time. It was around 1984 and there's this noontime show called Student canteen and one segment of the said show is that they preview new videos coming from the States.
If i remember it right it was Bobby Ledesma hosting and he introduced this girl whom he mentioned is an upcoming artist that's very hot in the US at that time.And introduced her as MADONNA which quite intrigued me since the Philippines is a Roman Catholic country the name Madonna is only associated with the Virgin Mary and how dare this girl to use such a holy name.
the host went on and the video was for the song Burning Up.
So I intently sat to watch the video,
To be honest as a young Catholic Gay boy seeing this slutty girl writhing and prancing on the road makes me squirm and a little uneasy not to mention that my aunts were even scandalized that this girl was named after the virgin and doing all those slutty moves.
The first encounter was ambivalent actually, the song was catchy I would say but her name, her moves kinda awakened my traditional catholic guilt. But I'd have to say that the fascination started with that, And by the time Borderline was released i was hooked.....FOR LIFE.

No comments:

Post a Comment